Poetry Poetry may at times seem like a complicated piece of writing. It is the one form of writing that has several rules, but in some cases, you may be allowed to flaunt all the rules and express yourself freely. There are no specific rules to writing poetry, although this largely depends on the type […]
Posted: November 16th, 2022
Poetry may at times seem like a complicated piece of writing. It is the one form of writing that has
several rules, but in some cases, you may be allowed to flaunt all the rules and express yourself freely.
There are no specific rules to writing poetry, although this largely depends on the type of poem you wish
to write. For instance, if you wish to write a poem that will add a rhyming pattern to enhance its
musicality, then it is important to focus on the words you put at the end of each line. Even though there
are no specific rules to poetry, it still remains a complex piece of writing that must be carefully written
to achieve perfect results.
Poetry generally refers to a piece of writing that focuses on expressing feelings, emotions, or particular
ideas through the use of rhythm and a style that is unique compared to other forms of writing.
1. You have to read a lot of poetry. This helps you get accustomed to the style and learn how to
differentiate it from prose. By reading widely, it does not mean that you have to deeply analyze
the poems to get a deeper meaning. This is basically supposed to help you get a general feel of
poetry in its different forms.
2. You need to get a topic or a general idea about what you wish to write about. You can take note
of some specific words you may want to put in the piece, or a specific idea you may want to
explore in the poem.
3. Next, using the ideas that you wish to explore, write down whatever comes to mind. This is not
the poem yet, but just a way to bring your ideas to life. This can be done in bullet point form or
4. You then need to decide the form the poem will take. Do you wish to write a sonnet that has
strict rules, or do you wish to write a free verse that is limitless? Will your poem have a rhyming
pattern or not? these are some of the considerations that one needs to make.
5. Start writing the poem. When writing, you should always assume that you are the audience. If
the poem does not appeal to you, it may not appeal to anyone else.
6. Ensure that you use elements like metaphors, imagery, and similes to make your poem
7. After writing, read the poem out loud to have an idea of what it sounds like. Do you like how the
words come together? If not, you need to revise the poem.
8. Poetry revision should be done a few minutes after writing the poem. This allows you to have a
clear mindset when revising, and will allow you to catch the mistakes you might have made, as
well as correct any part of the poem that seems unsatisfactory.
9. The poem is now ready for an audience.
Check out some poems from https://rapando.co.ke/writer/mwandah and take note of the different
types of poetry.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.